We’re loving Australia. Such a family-friendly destination. We initially planned on spending just 2 weeks here focusing on Sydney and the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne on. We had little or no expectations. But with the cancelling of our NZ plans, we are now spending over a month here and getting very comfortable, with a feeling of being at home. And loving it.
I wrote quite a bit about Sydney already. We were equally impressed by Melbourne, a happening, young and hip city. I caught myself again saying that I could move there tomorrow…
What impressed me first is the hotel we stayed at, the Blackman, part of the Art Series Hotel Group (another great deal found on Wotif!). What a refreshing concept. Each of their hotel is inspired and named after Australian artists who define Australia’s contemporary art culture. As such, Charles Blackman is one of the most original and significant figurative painters in Australian art whom I was so pleased to discover. The Blackman was the perfect blend between a cool hotel and an efficient self-contained apartment. Excellent for a family stay in the city.
They got to hang their paintings on the staircase walls of the hotel alongside many other children canvases..They were very proud to see their paintings near Mr Blackman’s.
I give the Blackman the award for The best Kid Gift in the hotel world!
These are a few things we loved doing in Melbourne:
– Visit the Botanic Garden and spend time at the children’s area, very well done
– Play at the Luna Park in St Kilda neighborhood
– Stroll around by tramway and enjoy the skyline
– Enjoy some contemporary art at the Australian Center for Contemporary Art (ACCA)
– Eat a really good lunch at Cumulus, an eating house & bar in Melbourne CBD and a delicious Sunday brunch at Auction Room in North Melbourne (103-107 Errol Street)
– Buy some very special pieces of designs from local artists at Craft, an excellent government-run shop that gathers some of the best designers from Victoria state. The street it’s on has many good galleries, and it’s next door to Cumulus, making it all easy on foot with a stroller.
I particularly loved the work of these 3 artists:
Lightly / Cindy-Lee Davies and her delicate porcelain swallows (hope they make it safe in my suitcase for another 2 months!)
Bridget Bodenham and her raw ceramics and porcelain kangaroo brooches
Sunday Morning Designs and the beautiful prints they did in collaboration with Dylan Martorell.
Art & Inspiration…A lot to absorb in Melbourne, enriching for the whole family. We could have stayed much more than 3 days.