If I only had a few days in Paris, I’d try to hit any – or all! – of the following places. There’s a bit for everyone in this list: fashion, food, children’s clothes… Some are old time favorites, back to when I lived on Place des Vosges (yes! in a tiny mouse hole under the rooftops with a view over the square). Some are recently discovered. Some were already listed on this post. Once a Parisian, always a Parisian.
– Favorite croissant: c/o Arnaud Delmontel, rue des Martyrs, 9th arrondissement
– Favorite Croque Monsieur with Pain Poilane: At Cafe de la Mairie on Place Saint Sulpice in Saint Germain des Prés. It might not be the fanciest terrace, but it’s still my favorite because I love the views and the atmosphere.
– Favorite ice cream: c/o Bertillon on Ile Saint Louis. And rather than sitting at the pricey café, take it in a cone and lick it down the stairs by the Seine River.
– Favorite Italian in Paris: Le Cherche Midi, not far from le Bon Marche, the tres chic department store, and Le Petit Italien behind place des Vosges in Le Marais … because that’s what I do when I am in France: I eat Italian, Vietnamese, North African food..but not much French food apart from croissants baguette and cheese! Also love Caffe Stern for Italian chic.
– Favorite bar: for fancy surroundings, it’s the Hemingway Bar at the Ritz Hotel. And for totally opposite vibes, hanging out with the youngsters of Le Marais, it’s Bar Bisou.
– Favorite brasserie: Brasserie Balzar, near La Sorbonne.
– Favorite bistro: Chez Janou, behind Place des Vosges in le Marais… with chocolate mousse for dessert s’il vous plait.
– Favorite food market: Marché des Enfants Rouges, but it’s more hip than cheap, and more food stalls than produce. Also love all the food shops on Rue des Martyrs.
– Favorite chic restaurant: Caviar Kaspia, with a table overlooking Place de La Madeleine. Would love to try Jean-Francois Piège one day.
– Favorite gastro inventive little restaurant: Vivant, such a nice recent discovery
– Favorite traditional French restaurant: C/o Allard in the heart of Saint Germain des Pres, a classic.
– Favorite vietnamese hole in the wall: Minh Chau, right behind the BHV department store. Too good.
– Favorite delicious patisserie: Sebastien Gaudard
– Favorite macarons: Pierre Hermé, but everyone knows that one already
– Favorite deli: Maison Plisson near everybody’s favorite store Merci, or La Grande Epicerie at the department store Bon Marche. Mouth watering whichever direction you look at.
– Favorite couscous: c/o Omar in Le Marais, almost as good as my mom’s
– Favorite shop for me myself and I: Spree near Place des Abbesses in the 18th arrondissement. But also Dries Van Noten near Les Beaux Arts.
– Favorite shop to buy a bathing suit: Eres in Saint Germain des Prés on Rue du Cherche midi, and then go buy some buttery biscuits c/o Poilane. The irony of life.
– Favorite up and coming fashion brand: Bison Paris. Stunning leather and custom made pieces in a little atelier hidden away.
– Favorite shop for children’s and teenager clothes: Finger in the Nose, le Marais or Avenue Trudaine
– Favorite tableware store: love love love Astier de Villate on Rue Saint Honore but it’s pricey.
– Favorite homeware store: Philippe Model maison on Rue Condorcet, or the more well known Caravane in le Marais. And all the fabrics stores around Place Von Furstenberg in Saint Germain des Prés
– Favorite Kitchenware shop: La tresorerie, near Rue du Paradis
– Favorite covered passage: Passage des Panoramas, with Caffe Stern above mentioned
– Favorite merry go round: The one right by the big playground of Jardin du Luxembourg, or the one at the top of Place des Abbesses in the 18th arrondissement, right by the tube, because it’s very near my favorite fashion store:))
– Favorite small museum: Can’t choose! Maybe Musee Picasso? Or Jeu de Paume? or Musee de la Vie Romantique? Musee de la Chasse? Musee Rodin? or Fondation Cartier?
– Favorite museum specially for children: Musee en Herbe, not far from pretty Place des Victoires
– Favorite big museum: Palais de Tokyo, or maybe Beaubourg? Grand Palais?
– Favorite square: Place des Vosges, no doubt about it
– Favorite touristic attraction: going up to the top of the Eiffel Tower..but buy tickets online and check that the staff is not on strike! not kidding!
– Favorite night out with the family: at the Opera de Paris
– Favorite garden: Jardins du Palais Royal, and sometimes Jardin du Luxembourg, if it’s a sunny day.
– Favorite art gallery: Kamel Mennour because that’s where I discovered the work of Zineb Sedira.
– Favorite up and coming street: Rue du Paradis in the 10th.
– Favorite massage: Ladda in the 10th, for a thai massage.
– Favorite place to stay: my mother’s apartment..oh..and by the way, she rents it out here
Have I missed anything out?!